Well two months into my 2011 goals, and things are going alright. I may have slacked a bit this month on a lot, but still I am feeling like I am in a good place and ready for another month of progress!
Now it is time for the breakdown:
1. Focus more on my health and getting back in shape
I am still trucking along on my Weight Watchers journey. This month has had its ups and downs, mostly from travel. I need to do better on tracking while traveling, but that can be my goal for March and April. I still haven’t gotten into a good work-out routine and am having trouble motivating myself to do so. I will check back with you at the end of March to let you know how that progress has gone.
2. Take more pictures and put them in picture frames around my apartment
Whoops! Still slacking on this one big time, any ideas on how to make this more of a priority?!?! I always have my camera in my purse but then I just forget to take pictures.
However, many of my picture frames have been updated thanks to my sisters ability to take pictures at everything!
3. Find a job that I love
Still hammering out job applications, no interviews yet. I just need to keep reminding myself that it will all fall into place.
4. Tackle the organization projects that have been sitting around since I moved from Memphis
I am happy to say some of this was completed this month! My storage space in my kitchen and on my patio were finally organized. I went through all of the boxes and was able to make sure everything had a home, and not to mention I was able to make three bags to go to Goodwill and three filled with trash! There are still a few more projects to tackle…like organizing my closet and my “office” bookcase in my room but I have some time before that is a must do right?
5. Be happier and try to find the humor in every situation
Happiness is a huge journey. I try to see the positives and the best in people and give the benefit of the doubt but sometimes my Irish anger comes out. I think what I am learning most is to surround myself with people who make me happy and try to toss aside the extra drama. But let’s face it…the drama will always be there.
6. Be more financially conscious
I have been better about not splurging especially when I fell in love with a new Coach bag while outlet shopping. I really have started to look at where my finances are going and I can honestly say it is to eating out. So to combine my effort at eating healthier with my financial goals I am going to try to spend some time cooking healthy meals at home.
Anyone have any great ideas?!?!
7. Take at least two trips to reunite with friends
No big trips to see friends this month; however, I did head to Atlanta and Myrtle Beach for conferences. These trips may not have reunited friendships but they defintiely made me realize once I leave grad school who I am going to be staying in touch with.
This goal may need to wait until I know more about my financial stability after May—AKA when I have a new job and some extra money to spend.
8. Read at least 30 books
As for reading…I only made it through two books this month.
The first was called Building Simple Community/Living Simple Community by Rich Luker.

This wasn’t something I would call just for fun reading, instead it was a professional development book for school. It had some interesting historical information about building community in America and it wasn’t too bad of a read. If you are looking to build a larger community in your hometown or in your place of business I would definitely recommend it.
The second book I read was Saints at the River by Ron Rash.

I was able to get this one for free while at the First Year Experience conference in Atlanta, GA. The storyline was pretty good and it was nice that it took place in South Carolina because it pulled me into the story pretty quickly. It was also an easy read and the character description was engaging. If you are looking for a quick weekend read I definitely recommend it, or if you are going through some life transition this book might be helpful to reevaluate your personal values.
Hopefully next month will bring a few more books to the list. 3 down 27 to go!
9. Try at least one new restaurant a month
This month I did a far amount of traveling which means I ate out a lot. I am going to focus on one of the restaurants, simply because I ate about a weekends worth of meals there—High Velocity in Atlanta. It is a sports bar inside the Marriott Marquis, which is the hotel where the conference was being held.

It had a very open feel and the atmosphere was fabulous. Their food was good, everyone tried something different every night. I really liked it because it put a twist on some traditional bar food and some of it even made me feel a little healthy. My two favorite things on their menu were the lemongrass hummus—it was so yummy and you got a ton of it for the price—and the Caribbean style chicken skewers which came with a delicious black bean salsa. For a hotel restaurant the prices weren’t too out there and they had a great beer selection as well.
10. Blog at least once a week
As you can see…this hasn’t gone as well as I hoped. Let’s hope March will be more of a motivation for me.
How are your 2011 goals going?!?!
Hey Diana! Love catching up with you through your blog and knowing what you're up to. Miss you!
ReplyDeleteElizabeth