Thursday, May 20, 2010

Who Am I?

Well, at the start of my Maymester class our professor had us define who we are and where we came from, and I really enjoyed this reflective activity. By no means am I a poet but it was nice to have time and remember my roots. I didn't really think much of my thoughts until I called my mother and read them to her. After I finished, she asked that I send them to her. I guess I did a good job embracing who I am and I wanted to share it with all of my friends and family. Thank you for making me who I am today!

Who I Am
I am my father's daughter. I have his humor, his dedication, and his ability to see the good in people. I also have his ability to hold a grudge like a true Irishman.
I am my mother's daughter. I want to help others and make the life of my family better than the one I had.
I may be both of these but so much more.
Because of my classmates growing up I am academically competitive and enjoy asking questions.
I followed my sister;s footsteps for some time, I tried being a dancer and cheerleader, instead I became a basketball player and dog handler.
Early on my faith became important to me. I attended Catholic school, received my sacraments and reach out to others through community service. It wasn't until I attended college and someone questioned my faith that I truly embraced it.
I love being around people and forging relationships.
I am a storyteller.
I am grateful for may family. It doesn't just stop with my parents and sister, it includes cousins, aunts, uncles and friends.
I love tradition and enjoy holidays where we embrace our British and Polish heritage through food.



Where I Came From:
I am from just outside of the hustle and bustle of the city.
You can jump on a train to NYC, Philly or DC.
I am from a place where there were pool parties on the 4th of July,
And where the holidays meant gifts to my teachers from my mother's kitchen.
I am from the land of fantasy where I could visit Mickey Mouse and walk down Main St. USA.
I am from the north but have found my home in the south;
However, I miss a good bagel and fresh Italian bakery cookies.
I am from a place where there was always a warm, family dinner,
And the plans to share many more with friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment