Who doesn't love the 4th of July...there is sunshine, fireworks, grilling and a little pool time. I was lucky enough to have my college roommate, her boyfriend and their pup make the trip down to SC to spend the 4th of July with me.
I spent Friday night preparing for their visit--cleaning, prepping some meals and figuring out potential plans. I made my favorite summer dessert, Dirt. It is one of the easiest things to make: Oreos, pudding, Cool Whip, cream cheese and some gummy worms. YUM, but I was good and didn't sneak any until Sunday!
On Saturday, we ventured to a friend's house to watch UFC fighting and there are not many words to describe it. It is a little too bloody for me, I spent a large portion of the night going "What is he doing!!" "Why are they doing that!" Unfortunately, the guy everyone was cheering for lost. Needless to say, it was an interesting experience but I can say that this probably will not become a normal occurrence. It was however a fun way to kick off Heather and Bo's visit.
On Sunday, we woke up early and I attempted to make pancakes. They were burned a little but turned out pretty good. It was the first time I cooked pancakes in my cast iron skillet, so I learned a few lessons and that the skillet gets faster much quicker than expected. After breakfast we spent the morning and early afternoon at the pool. Luckily it wasn't too crowded and my friend Natalie and her fiance were able to come spend some time poolside. Since I am not really a beer drinker, I decided that I wanted to try the white sangria in a box from World Market and it was delicious. The box says 24 glasses, we will see if that is actually true.
Before we knew it we were all starving, and it was time for lunch. I made pasta salad, grilled some chicken and then we had the tasty "Dirt" dessert. Overall, the perfect 4th of July spread. The sun made us sleepy so we regressed back to our childhood and took an afternoon nap. That night we went over to a nearby mall where they were shooting off fireworks, although they weren't Disney they were pretty good. At the end of the fireworks they played Proud to be an American, that song makes me feel so patriotic and reminds me of all the great places which make up the USA.
On Monday, Heather and Bo sadly had to leave and head back to Raleigh but it was great to spend the weekend with them. It is weekends like these when I become grateful that I am so close to my family and friends. Here is to many more enjoyable weekends!
No comments:
Post a Comment