Tuesday, April 27, 2010

What I Have Learned This Semester!

In order to help the first years transition into life at USC all of the students have composed letters to share with them. As I wrote my letter I realized it was a lot of personal reflection on what I have taken away from my first semester as a grad student and I wanted to share it with you!

Enjoy!

Hello HESA Friends,
I am thrilled to welcome you to HESA and the great state of South Carolina! You are truly going to enjoy your time at USC!
First off let me introduce myself, I am Diana and I am a 2nd year. I began the program last spring, so my transition was a little different than yours, but I hope these tips help you out as you adjust to grad school life!
Be sure to use your resources wisely—your classmates and professors want to see you succeed. Do not hesitate to ask them questions and gain feedback, especially when preparing for interviews use your friends for practice interviews.
This is a random side note, the basement classrooms in Wardlaw College always seem to be cold, so if you are cold natured be sure to bring a jacket to class.
If you do not have a GA do not stress out, there are plenty of ways to gain experience on campus. Look into practicum or volunteer to work in a department you are interested in for a few hours a week. This will really open doors. I promise, things really do fall into place and if you need an ear to listen come see me because I am sure I know what you are going through.
Along that note, when you are stressed talk it out with your friends. Don’t keep it bottled up because commonly another member of the cohort will be or has had the same feelings.
If you are like me and can’t go to the library because it turns into a people watching event, check out the Caroliniana Library on the Horseshoe. It is quiet with not too many people and can lead to a very productive day. Be sure to watch for library hours because sometimes they aren’t the most accommodating.
Other than the Caroliniana, the Horseshoe is a nice place to relax and have lunch. Bring a book to read and have a quiet lunch to yourself or invite friends to have a picnic!
My final piece of advice is to take advantage of social outings. Lunch, dinner, movie nights, game nights, a night of karaoke, ice cream runs or coffee dates are all ways to get to know each other better. Even if you have a pile of work to get done, take an hour to go to lunch with friends—when you get back from lunch you will be more productive because you took the time to remove yourself from the stress.
I really hope these tips are helpful, and know if there is anything you need don’t hesitate to contact me!
Looking forward to a fabulous year at USC,
Diana

1 comment:

  1. Hey girl! Love the blog layout update! Miss you SOOO much.

    ReplyDelete